Tings Lisbon is not a music venue – it’s a hotel. But music is an important part of the hotel where we will play the best we know.
I love literature – but let me be honest. I am not a big fan of poetry.
Still I have a small list of poets I really like: Benny Andersen, Halfdan Rasmussen, Tove Ditlevsen, Inger Christensen and a few others. All of them are Danes – and all of the entered my life through music.
A few years ago I stumbled on the name Anatoly Brooks on several occasions. All of them while browsing through my favorite source of entertainment – Internet Archive searching for interesting music. The track that got me curious was a mix of one of Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen’s poems Meditação do Duque de Gandia with Scott Walker’s composition And who shall go to the ball? and what shall go to the ball (Pt3).
I am a big fan of Scott Walker – and Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen’s had become part of our life. Our neighbouring Miradouro is named after her 🙂
I don’t know who Anatoly Books is or Tony Justerini who always appeared together with Anatoly in my search results on Google.
But I know their Radio Station: Radio Ethiopia: music for sinners .
Together with Berlin Community Radio, The Lake and Heartbeats Rádio Etiópia is my prefered radio station right now. Not only do the founders Anatoly Books and Tony Justerini have an excellent taste of music – the way they present it keeps inspiring me. Right now its Portuguese poetry I listen to because of their fantastic compilation: Algums Poemas com Musica.
Have a good listen
Algums Poemas com Musica
- Fernando Pessoa – Ode Triunfal + Harrold Budd & CliveWright – Pensive aphrodite
- Carlos de Oliveira – Soneto + Peter Gregson – Orb
- Carlos de Oliveira – Descrição da guerra em Guernica + Nils Frahm – Tristana (part 1 e 2)
- Al Berto – Dia da Criação da noite (José Maria Alves) + Antomynes – On arrivalat the strange museum
- Al Berto – Há-de flutuar uma cidade no crepúsculo da vida+ Os Poetas + Mono – A quiet place
- Maria do Rosário Pereira – Mãe (Aldina Duarte) + Anoice – Short film
- Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen + Scott Walker- And what shall go to the ball? Pt. 3
- Mário Cesariny – Exercicio Espiritual +Adolfo Luxúria Canibal +Efterklang – Hands playng butterfly + Ent – Move
- Al Berto – Dia da Criação da noite + Antomynes – On arrivalat the strange museum
- Luisa Neto Jorge – Fractura + Hauschka – Eisblume
- Sofia de Mello Breyner Andresen – Aquele que partiu + Six Organs of Admitance – Solar ascent
- Jorge de Sena – Carta a meus filhos sobre os fuzilamentos de Goya + Dakota Suite & Quentin Sirjacq – Beciming less & less
- Vitorino Nemésio – Nomeio o mundo + Yuichiro Fujimoto – Sketches of views of small town
Algums Poemas com Musica is a collage of poems with music from Rádio Etiópia: Radio for sinners.
Total time: 2.08: 57
Voice RE: Ana Ribeiro
Mix: Tony Justerini & Anatoly Brooks
Photo: Kaveh H. Steppenwolf
From Rádio Etiópia on Podomatic
By Appointment to Her Majesty the Queen and to Their Late Majesties King George VI, King Edward VII, King William IV, King George V, Queen Victoria, King George IV and to His Late Royal Higness The Prince of Wales ( 1921-1936)
Tony Justerini and Anatoly Brooks are the co-founders of Rádio Etiópia. New episodes are posted every Monday set completed apart from the mainstream line of music.